How can you sum up a trip like
mine in a single post? Well, I’m not really sure but I’m quite certain it will
be random and full of useless information that may bore you or be the length of
a post causing feelings of anger simply because it seems to never end. I will
try to find a happy medium, but I can’t promise that. My Korean adventure was
special because it gave me 6 amazing weeks with the love of my life. Six weeks
that I didn’t expect. Six weeks that made my heart not hurt so much. Ok, so the
pain is already setting back in and I still haven’t touched down in Detroit,
but I didn’t expect anything different. As I start this post, I am currently
over the Pacific, creeping up to the West Coast. The amount that I get typed
now depends on just how long my little battery life can make it. I left Korea
before 6 p.m. The sky was pitch black in no time after take-off. I pass out
like a log (thank you Captain Morgan) and wake up to blinding light sneaking
through the crack in my window screen. This whole time thing is so weird.
Technically speaking, I am traveling back in time right now. Eff you, Marty
McFly. Okay, so I can thank Captain Morgan for that statement too but whatever.
Tired of reading yet? No, you
say? Well, sitting down sweet peeps, you are about the dive into the randomness
of Ali’s Korean Chronicles. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll always wonder if
you can get the time back you wasted reading this post. Nope. So, quit
bitching.
I am SHHHH-ELLLL-TERED like a
mother fluffer. The culture shock literally shocked me every day. It hurt
sometimes, others were the good kind of pain. My thoughts and impressions of
South Korea:
It stinks. They have an open
sewage system which means at any given moment you can be walking along,
enjoying your day, and get a big waft of shit smell right smack in the face.
Ick. I did a lot of mouth breathing to try to block the smell.
SO MANY PEOPLE. I never saw a
single neighborhood. Neighborhood to me is a development of homes with yards,
mailboxes, driveways, etc. Nope, their neighborhoods consist of a cluster of
roughly 8-10 HIGH rise apartment buildings. By high rise, I mean some of these
suckers have like 50 floors. There are so many of these apartment complexes.
American stereotype: Asians can’t
drive. Reality: They drive exactly like they do in the native country. Holy
shit balls. Red lights are merely suggestions. They use their horns. A lot. No
need to look before you merge, just go. And go fast. Watch out for Bongo trucks
and idiots on scooters. I spent more time in the car going “Oh!” “Agh!” and
“Shit!”
Are those really kids walking
around the city by themselves? Like elementary schools kids jumping on a
transit bus and riding the train? Yes, yes they were. South Korea simply does
not have a huge crime problem. Get this: people actually DON’T want to go to
jail there so they don’t commit crimes! Wow! I really think more damage and
crimes are committed by US soldiers stationed there then natives.
They LOVE them some coffee and
pastries. And by love, I mean have cafes, stores, and bakeries roughly every
10-20 yards. Coffee there tastes different than coffee at home. But, lucky me,
the Commissary always stocks the good stuff that I brewed in the apartment. My
favorite sweet treats were cinnamon rolls and things chocolate cookies that
came in adorable pink boxes. Oh I wish I could order those online lol. Do we
have Korean markets in Georgia? I would think we would. I just need those
cookies. Anyone remember Elkins from back in the day? Yeah, tastes just like that.
Yummm.
To keep on the subject of food.
Big shocker…there wasn’t much I liked. Mostly because I am not an adventurous
eater and won’t try anything (much to the hubs dismay). My favorite
non-commissary or PX purchased food was anything with tempura in front of it.
It is a fancy style of frying anything lol. Chicken, pork, shrimp. Whatever! I
had a really cool omelet (which I’m not fond of in the first place) that was
filled with rice. It came with a tempura pork cutlet…and this was what I got at
a WATER PARK! On a glass plate with real silverware. Blew me away but
definitely proved the point that they are serious about conservation and
recycling. Jamie had to coach me though, “Just think of it as fried rice,
except the egg is on the outside! Good point. It worked. I ate it. My mother
would LOVE to visit. She would appreciate the food. Sushi, soups, hibachi
buffets, nasty teas, weird things wrapped in noodles. Let’s just say I cried
when I saw McDonald’s lol.
Juicy girls and ‘Villes. These
two words are probably the cause of most problems for soldiers stationed in
Korea. Each post has a Ville just outside the gates. These little gems thrive
on soldiers and their money. You won’t find strip clubs there…just a lot of hookers.
Juicy girls (not hard to spot AT ALL) wear outfits that I’m certain could be
make from 3-4 shoelaces and are always friendly and ready to snatch a soldier.
All I can say is that I hope the Army makes those guys have STD tests about
once a month. Ick. The Villes are packed with clubs and DEEE-RUNK soldiers.
The above leads to my next
observation. We’ve all heard “Korea stories” and what happens there. Drinking
happens there. A lot of it. Guys get a little too loaded and break curfew. BIG
no-no. Everyone wants to drink – it’s what the Army does – so then you have all
the yahoo underage idiots get in trouble for that. Cause for a majority of
Article 15’s: underage drinking and breaking curfew. You do not want to do
either, but I sure as hell wouldn’t want to be caught roaming around drunk in
town after 1 a.m. Well, they couldn’t do anything to me, I’m not a soldier.
But, Jamie was responsible for me and I would never do anything to make him
look bad.
***Battery dying. More to come
during my layover in Detroit. SOOOO wish I had time to see my other Mama and
angry (sweet) German father-in-law. Just passed over Seattle. Four hours left
on this leg. Be back then.***
**Got about 45 minutes to spare
in Detroit. This post may take me a couple days to finish lol**
Sitting in this airport just
reminded me of another point of interest. Wi-fi. We have it in various places.
Some people pay for their own mobile hot spot. If you can’t catch a network,
well then that’s when you rack up those beautiful data charges. Not in Korea.
Holy cow the technology is amazing and slightly interesting. Amazing because
everywhere has internet. Everywhere. Subways, sidewalks, every restaurant and
store you go into. Seriously. Everywhere. What makes it better are the phones
people walk around with. Some have your standard iPhone or Droid looking thing,
but most of the younger crowd walk around with what I can only relate to using
your iPAD as a phone. Yes, iPad. Kindle. Tablet. As a phone. They jazz them up
with teddy bear or bunny rabbit cases with big ears. I tried to get Jamie to
get one. He wouldn’t.
Shopping. What in
theeeeeeeeeeeeeee hell do South Koreans do in order to shop so much?! And I don’t
mean shopping at Wal-Mart or Target. We are talking Gucci, Prada, Louis, High
end EVERYTHING. And most of the shoppers are ROK soldiers! Seriously, uniforms
everywhere…just shopping and drinking coffee lol.
Signal Ball. Loved it! Felt so
fancy and the hubs didn’t look too shabby either. It was nice to share that “first”
together. He took me to get my hair done (which I’m sure pleased my mother a
great deal since I couldn’t end up with a big knotted ball on my head) and made
me feel like a princess.
Friends. I made some new ones!
Calm down, I get a little excited too. It was really cool and nothing felt
forced. Of course I have my military friends/spouses at home that I adore and
wouldn’t trade for anything, but after my first “Army Wife” encounter when I
first met Jamie…let’s just say it’s a shocker I associate with anyone at all.
But, my stateside girls proved to me that not all are lying psychos and these
crazy ass soldiers that I met in Korea just make my heart happy. I did learn a
lot. Just trying to figure out how to create my own personal style of going
ethnic on someone while wearing my pearls :)
And yeah, I'm tapping out. More to come later. Almost to Atlanta!!


No comments:
Post a Comment